Saturday, 8 March 2014

Karl Lagerfeld, #Genius

Now I've always considered myself someone who has an appreciation for art. My Baba painted the most beautifully delicate pysanky for years in celebration of Ukrainian Easter. It wasn't until mother nature started to take her toll that Baba stopped. My mom was an avid folk-artist back in the day and I can remember playing with my play dough along side as she painted her newest project. My sister is a fashion illustrator living and working in NYC and she is pretty damn talented - Just check out her blog! (I'm a proud big sister - I can brag a little). All this to say, I've been around art for as long as I can remember.

I think so much of what I love about fashion is that it's art. Unlike paintings that hang on the walls of galleries around the world, fashion is art that we live in everyday. A fashion designer decided what the shoes on our feet would look like and the shape and material a skirt will take. Just like van Gogh decided which colours to use in 'Starry Night.' With fashion, sometimes it's about functionality, sometimes it's a dream or fantasy made into reality and sometimes it's a little bit of both.

So what does this have to do with Karl Lagerfeld being a #genuis? Well, throw to his Instagram in this instance (or just check out the drop-dead gorgeous collections he designs for Chanel...enough said). Over the last week or so, he's been rolling out a fantastic campaign counting down to the launch of #KARLPARFUMS. The black leather-studded gloves are synonymous with Karl Lagerfeld. So if you know fashion, you know these images are about him. And the fingers counting down not only deliver a clear message about when the parfums are coming, it's being done in a way that is distinctly him. Now THAT is incredible style (and brilliant marketing)!




Will I be checking out #KARLPARFUMS? Absolutely, if I can. I've heard they are only available in select locations. The truth is, I'm looking for a men's cologne for myself. I'm inspired by Karl's brilliance and edginess and want a piece of his style to incorporate into my own.

No comments: